View Single Post
Old 09-26-2003, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Young Players!!!?????

As a 21-year old myself, I think I can say with some degree of certainty that the reason us young players are treated poorly is because many of us act poorly.

I was playing at the Taj last week, and another guy who looked to be 21 sat at my table. Man, this kid just couldn't keep his mouth shut. After every hand, he thought he could put someone on their cards. I took down a pot without having to show, and he says, "Two queens, huh?" I said, "No. And unfortunately, you only get one question per hand, and that was it." He felt the need that inform everyone that he check-raised after the flop to get the river card for free -- thanks, because we didn't all realize that. And I didn't care about how he did at the table he was sitting at before... all I cared about was that he lost his entire stack at my table.

The point is that a lot of kids (and hopefully I'm not included in this) read the same two or three books and watch the same WSOP and WPT episodes on television, and all of the sudden think that they're G-d's gift to poker. Personally, I realize that I'm still very new to this game, and although I like to think that I'm decent, I keep my mouth shut when it comes to the gameplay. Respect is not given--it is earned. If you play well, you will quickly earn people's respect. Or if you don't gain their respect, you will at least gain their chips--and let's face it, which would you rather have?