View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: What to do about tilt

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that I sit down to play, and I do just fine, until I get sucked out on for a big pot or lose with a good hand to an even better hand. Then it's like instatilt. I almost can't control myself. I basically lose the desire to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to have to work on your self-control, dude, it's really that simple. Poker is a game of incomplete information with a large element of chance, and you need to accept that. I mean, really understand what that means.

Instead of thinking about the results of the hand, you need to be looking at your own actions. If you made the correct play based on the information available to you, then there's nothing to be upset about. You just have to accept that the result was not to your liking, and move on to the next hand. There is no magic formula, you either have (or develop) self-control, or you don't. You can't control the cards or your opponents, they are what they are. The only thing you can control is yourself. There is a very good set of essays on this subject in John Feeney's book, "Inside the Poker Mind", and I recommend that you read them. As luck would have it, the book is available right here on this website.