View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Foolish Choices

[ QUOTE ]
You just said you support state sponsored police and forced taxation. Both of those curtail freedom. So I don't know where the above statement comes from

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that living in America is not living in a free society (we have police and we have taxation) then there is not much point in discussing this further. I define a free society as one that, generally, conforms to some version of our bill of rights (freedoms of speech, assembly etc).

[ QUOTE ]
The Japanese, Germans, Koreans, and others cooperated and they benefitted greatly. If the Vietnamese had done the same, things would be better for them now

[/ QUOTE ]

The Japanese and germans initiated the war and were beaten. There is a difference between that and our (mis-)adventures in Vietnam and Iraq (in Vietnam we fled with our tails between our legs and the smart money is that something similar is likely in Iraq).

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to sit there and tell me that we shouldn't have gotten rid of Hitler in the mid-late 30s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in hindsight. Of course if in circa 1930 we had the foresight to see what was coming we could have solved the Hitler problem in many different ways.

Incidentally, in hindsight, we will be saying the the world would have been a better place if Gore had won in 2000.