View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: The search for E.T.

It wasn't meant to be compelling, and it proves nothing. But I imagine it's surprising to those who have an intuitive idea that random forces can't produce order.

In your question, the concept of 'information' isn't really explored, so I'd like to do that. What exactly is information? Is it a process for producing ordered and complex structures? Is it meaningful data? What is meaningful? How is 'information' different to noise? I'm interested in your ideas on this.

Let me ask you some questions to narrow it down:
- Does the ecosytem of earth contain more information than, say, the surface of mars?
- Does a snowflake contain more information than the water vapor used to produce it?
- Is a planet covered in a variety of organic molecules, such as some DNA precursors, more complex than a similar sized planet covered with nothing but basic elements? Does it contain more information?
- Does a single cell contain more information than an entire human body of trillions of cells?
- Does a mouse brain contain more information than a human brain?
- Does the brain of a whale, 6 times the size of a human's, contain more information than a human brain?