View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Buying the button with TT

[ QUOTE ]
Hero can call with 8 outs in a reasonable sized pot for two bets for the same reason Barron Vangor Toth can call 2 cold with an inside straight draw on the turn in a reasonable sized pot: 3 betting preflop with all holdings = +EV!

[/ QUOTE ]

In the September "On the Edge" that I wrote, I had the odds to make the call, but just barely; in this situation, you don't have the odds, but it's likewise just barely.

My saying you don't have the odds, if anything, should be REALLY indicative as some say that I overestimate the odds in a situation.

While on paper calling for the gutshot seems worse than for the open-ender, the critical difference is one of the main (and often missed) points of Small Stakes Hold 'em:

You're not taking into account the size of the pot. In my situation, the pot was exponentionally bigger - hence, it was correct.

Here, it's small, AND you're not drawing to the nuts AND you could be drawing to the chop as well in some scenarios.

Interesting comparison ... but it proves my point.

For reference, the OP even stated that he believes now that the odds may not have been there.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com