View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: PP \"juicing\" vs. other sites

[ QUOTE ]

So my question is, is this reaction specific to Party Poker, or do players experience this on other sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens everywhere.

Lots of times when somebody takes a supposed 'bad-beat' on Stars (which sometimes means they lost a 40/60 race...or they are just upset that when they finally get a good hand like KK someone else has AA) they will complain about it.

PokerStars has the well-known nickname 'RiverStars' supposedly because of all the bad-beats one gets on the river there (I just lost to a 2-outer on the river the other night...it's not THAT improbable....it would be more improbable if it never happened).

All the other sites are the same...played in a few tourneys on UB and a handful of those who busted out would come back in the chat-box and complain "this site is SOOOOO messed up" etc etc.

Many will even complain to customer-support because they are sure that their 'feel' for how the cards should run is enough for them to tell whether it's legit or not.
Generally, they're just bitter about losing.

On the PPM cruise all you could hear were various conversation about how the cards 'seem right on this site...but not so much so on that site' or 'they're not as random after 8pm...you can just TELL' etc etc.

I had two different guys tell me that I:
- better be careful. because the high-volume players are the ones they want to get rid of because all they do is take money from the fish.
- am EXACTLY the type of player party wants to see win...because my high-volume play helps keep the games going.

I got seated next to one of these guys the next day in the tourney and we watched some guy who was all-in land his 2-outer to avoid elimination and make the money.
I joked to the guy I had talked to earlier "see....it's just like an online-hand!!"
and he said in all seriousness "yeah...you're right...you never really see hands like that live."
Then he realize his contradiction (since we just HAD seen a hand like that live) and said "well...not nearly as much anyway."

In short: "Online poker is rigged" is frequently an excuse that people use to justify why they aren't winning as much as they should be (since they already KNOW that they're far better than 90% of their opponents).

Anyway - regardless of whether you still think the cards 'just aren't right' at party or not you do seem to be taking a somewhat analytical approach to the situation so that is commendable.

you say you've seen a number of crazy beats at party.

well...if you play again long enough I'm sure you'll also see a 1,000 hand stretch where very few beats happen and the better hand holds up MORE often than it should. Of course...the chances are that it will be such a boring stretch of hands you could fail notice it.