View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Long, Painful, and Seemingly Endless

This is a scary post, but I can't believe it's possible without there being something wrong with your play. It's certainly possible to have good stats but still be botching some things. What happens is your winning and losing sessions are both a little worse than they should be, and this causes the longer down and break-even swings, and the shorter upswings.

You probably need to start by rebuilding confidence. I don't think you should be afraid to drop even further, just to regain confidence that you can win again. This is the most important thing. It sounds like you may have been a little stubborn about this.

I had a similar feeling for two months last year. I dropped and dropped, as low as 2/4 before I got it back together. I cashed out most of my roll and rebuilt it all. I needed confidence and this helped. All the while I kept reading and thinking about the game of course. I worked my way back up to 15/30, even while poker was my primary source of income.

Try this, what have you got to lose? Cash out, down to about $1500. Just doing this is very therapeutic; you're pulling a chuck of money out of the game that you can never lose, because you are never going to redeposit it. It will feel good.

Now rebuild. Start at 2/4, get to $3000, go to 3/6, get to $5000, go to 5/10, etc. Don't bang your head against the wall for too long; if you stall at a level for a while, cash out and drop back one. I had to do this twice, once at 10/20 and again at 15/30. Each level feels easier the second time around, both coming down and going up.