View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Long, Painful, and Seemingly Endless

I've got a couple of guesses and a couple suggestions, probably nothing really great though.

You're most likely tilting a bit more than you think. The exact same thing has been happening to me for a shorter amount of time. I notice that I am folding slightly less, especially on the turn and river, where it is at least -.5bb EV to call. It's purely out of frustration, and when I look back on the hands I justify it, but I shouldn't, it's just bad. It's taken me not playing, but really closely looking over hands for a couple of weeks to realise it.

Your confidence is shot, and you're not bluffing at the right times because you have no faith in your reads and little "feel" for the game, meaning for what your opponents are going to do based on a certain hand range. You may bluff "enough" but not in the profitable spots.

My suggestion is to take some time off and really go over hands by taking out the pen, paper and calculator, coming up with an opponent hand range, fixing percentages to those hands and figuring out which play is best. Really pain-staking, time-consuming and boring - very helpful (to me).

I just feel like when you encounter a really difficult problem in any intellectual field, at a certain point you need to step way way back, to the most fundamental fundamentals. This is really hard to do for me.

Good luck.