View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Consider faking a tell

It is possible that Gordon has a tell, but having tells isnt as bad as it sounds, if you know about it. For example, a guy posts below that he shakes a bit when he has a monster. I have seen this tell a lot. I have it too. But, I also deliberately shake on non-big hands, bluffs especially. It is not difficult to deliberately shake, or do whatever it is that you are supposed to do as a tell. If you are aware of something that you do, just deliberately do it other times to throw any observant players off.
I find the same thing with playing ultra-tight. If you play ultra-tight, people can read you easier. But if they are intelligent to have picked up on it and do adjust accordingly, it becomes very easy to tell what they have too. Having a tell, or playing in a way that makes it easier for players to tell what you have is only a problem if you are not aware of it. Become aware of it and then every now and then just use that to pick up a pot here or there with a stone cold bluff. As long as you use it sparingly, you have an advantage, and the opponent at the same time THINKS they have an advantage. It doesnt get better than that.