View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Contraception = Less Abortion?

[ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, the Catholic church is the only major Christian group to have a position against contraception. But the majority of Catholics in the US and Europe do not abide by that official stand. I am willing to say that 80% or so of American Christians believe in contraception.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd even say that that figure is low.

BUT...

Most american christians, especially modern-day evangelicals, are against teaching the use of contraception because they feel that such non-abstinence-only education increses promiscuity, which should really be the debate.

as far as i know, only looneys think that contraception is not effective as birth control, but there is a legitamate debate about weather or not teaching about condoms, etc in schools will increse teen promiscuity.

i geuss a lot of it comes down to weather one sees teen sex as an evil in itself, or if one feels that the harmful effects (pregnancy and thus abortion, disease, psychological damage from irresponsibile sexuality and so on) that result from teenage and premarital sex are the real problem. I aggree with the latter position, since stopping teens from getting it on is like trying to roll back the tides. we should thus, through responsible and balanced sex-ed, try to encourage responsible sexuality in the unmarried population.

btw, i still think you're jaxmike... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]