View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Great Fish Quote

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with eder. Calling in this situation is fine.
From the op it seems the ep will have a hard time getting away from the hand and if you flop two pair vs. a big pair he will pay you with a very big pot for 2 way action. floping 2nd or 3rd pair is not what you are looking for. (though you can play that with a small +ev probably)
Trips, Two pair,Str,Flush is what you are calling the bet for. It also makes it harder for players to put you on a hand in the future. The player you want to be up against with the 42s is a TAA who is on the verge of tilt. Just my opinion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, calling in this situation is horrible. You may as well say you'd call a raise from UTG with any two cards if it's folded to you in the BB.

What range do you put an UTG preflop raiser on, and how does your hand compare against that range? At best, you're only a 3:2 dog (unless you think he's raising with 53 or worse). At worst, you're a 4:1 dog, and that's if you get to see all five cards. The reverse implied odds on a hand like this are ridiculous. What is your plan if the flop comes Q72r?

The number of favorable flops you'll get with this hand are pretty slim. At best you can hope to flop 2 pair or better and hope UTG pays you off with a big pair he can't get away from. Any other draw you may flop will give you 35% percent equity at best, which will be an EV- situation when you're HU.

If there were quite a few cold-callers between you and UTG, this might be worth a call, but generally I'll never voluntarily put money into a pot with 4 high, even if it is soooooooted.