Thread: PLO8 quiz
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: PLO8 quiz

-estimate who is ahead (try not to use 2dimes, then check for next part)
I think player two is ahead, but it's so close it's hardly even worth knowing. Most clubs give player two the lock high. The board would have to pair and throw out an ace or show runner runner K 6 or 7 for player 1 to make his boat. Player two is also open ended, and if any one of the straight cards falls, he locks the high since it would kill player 1's boat draw. If player 1 does catch his ace and thus a boat draw, very few cards can come on the river that won't give player two the lock low.

All that said, player 1 wins the high if both players go UI and wins the high most times when the turn improves his hand. He also has a strong hold on the low should a low card come, since only an A would screw him, and he already holds two of them. To me, it looks like they have about equal chances of splitting it up various ways, but player two has a very very slight edge in the scooping department.

-who is mathematically correct in pushing once we know the cards
Twodimes says player two has more EV, but as I suspected, his edge is miniscule. I think both are probably right in getting all in here. They each probably have some fold equity and relatively strong draws.

-who is correct in pushing given an assignment of range of hands, etc.
Not really sure. Player 1's raise could be a steal attempt, and player two's call could be some blind defense. I would put player one on at least two wheel cards, probably A2xx, A3xx, A4xx suited to the ace, or 23xx, and probably something highish like a ten. Player two probably has a mediocre hand from player 1's perspective, and a flop bet may be likely to take it down, which I would do on most flops, especially considering his hand.

-would you play either hand differently
I would fold player 2's hand preflop.

-would things change if one stack was short (say $600 vs. $200) If I am player 1 with the short stack, I play the same way, maybe mixing in a few calls preflop. If I am player 1 with the larger stack, I play the same. If I am player 2 with the larger stack, I fold preflop, likewise if I'm player 2 with the 200 stack. Even though I have all those wheel cards, there are not a whole lot of flops I'm going to like, especially when it's extremely likely I'm giong to see a flop bet from player 1 on most flops.

I also don't play PLO8, so it is entirely possible that I'm very wrong here, but I can't improve if I don't try I suppose.