View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: +EV vs. +money

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your big edges come later on in the tournament if you push much better than any of your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

At the lower levels, you can probably take it as a given that this is the case. Given that, it does not make sense to subject yourself to early close calls when you can generate a large advantage over the field just by playing a good mathematical late game.

At higher levels, you have no such expectation that a good late push/fold game gives you a large advantage over the field. Since you can't depend on this, you are more correct (and it is more necessary) to exploit much smaller early edges.

It's only correct to pass up a small advantage now for a big advantage later when you indeed expect to have a big advantage later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha!! Great post! I play at the higher levels where most people know how to push/fold. Therefore I take my +EV call because a large stack early, if played right, will likely get you in the money. My posts here assume the higher levels. If playing at the lower levels where a good player has a much higher advantage over the field, I can see why folding would work.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I play primarily at the 11s and 22s, which is probably why I'm more inclined to not take early coinflips. I think there are much safer ways to build a stack at these levels.