View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Quirky (probably stupid) line

Yeah - I think I should have jammed it though I'm not sure if leading or ck/r is better (lean to ck/r). I think there is a decent chance that I get to 3-bet if I lead and only get 2 in if I C/R. The problem with my flop play is that I didn't think through the likely turn action carefully enough. Even though my post-flop reads were a little small-sampled, when I just CC the flop and PFR doesn't three-bet, I really can't risk letting the turn get checked through, since Button is entirely capable of checking through and in any event, a C/R would face PFR with 2 cold -- if he has less than 2-pair this could be really bad. So the f'ed up flop play leads to a very sub-optimal turn play -- would have been great to get in 3 on the turn, but the flop CC and leading a total blank looks so weird I think many players just default to calling as they to themselves "wtf?" Having muffed the flop and not getting what I want on the turn, I was happy with the river check -- I think the chance it gets schecked through is very small. My lead - check line on the big streets looks so goofy that I don't think the PFR, having called the flop C/R and the turn lead, lets this get checked through; even if he checked, I don't think the button lets it go. Anyway, at least one street semi-worked -- river went check-bet-call-raise-call-fold, and PFR showed AQo no spade.

I thought it was an interesting hand to think about because the flop action after I check means that CCing is bad -- if PFR just calls the C/R, we have no sterling obvious lines on the turn that present a high liklihood of getting 2 bets or more from each of them, and on this flop a Button raise is reasonably likely -- unless PFR has flopped a big hand, I'll be put in a very bad spot on the turn to be able to extract bets, and if he flopped a big hand, jamming the flop would have been beneficial anyway. Eh, live and learn.