Thread: Rate my Play
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Rate my Play

[ QUOTE ]
$10+$1 NL SNG on party last night. I played the hand very different from how I normally do. I want to know what you all think.

5 players left. I'm chipleader with ~2300.

UTG: Villain 2230
MP: Hero 2300
Button: Has about 1570
SB: Has 1100
BB: Has 800

Blinds at 75/150 and they increase next hand.

I'm dealt 66. My read on UTG is that he's a novice. I saw him slowroll some guy earlier with the nut boat so he's a jerk, and probably fairly new to this game so he's not good. I've also seen him limp UTG several times.

UTG limps for 150. I raise to 400. Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG takes a while then calls.

Pot: 1025. Flop comes 7 5 3 rainbow. He bets 300. I immediately put him on two overs and I raise to 900 (leaving me with about 1000). He calls fairly quickly. This doesn't change my read, though.

Turn pot is 2825 and the turn is another 7, pairing the board. He checks. I push in for my last 1K or so. He thinks for about 8 seconds and calls all-in. (I'm returned 70 chips).

Thoughts, comments... like I said, I usually play my mid PP's more tight-aggressive than this, but I was not worried about getting outplayed by Villain in this case, and was also hoping for one of the shorter stacks to move in on me with KT or A8 or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like any part of how you played this hand at all.

1) You're not really the chip leader over the villain, he can effectively bust you.

2) You're making reads of his specific holdings when you should be putting your opponent on a range of hands. Why are you so heavily discounting A7, K7, 33, 55, and 88-JJ??? There's no way to know you're ahead. I agree that there is a good chance you're ahead, but you can't just come across like you know for sure. You're essentially guessing here, which is why I hate playing 66 here in this way. Unless it's your neighbor and you can see in his window across the street, or you have the software that scans your opponents cards, of course.

3) "and was also hoping for one of the shorter stacks to move in on me with KT or A8 or whatever." This doesn't make any sense... why did you pop it to t400 then? This is an argument for limping, and a poor one at that.

I would limp and play for set value vs. the other big stack. You're right that this is a favorable flop for you, but I would proceed with more caution and use the information that my opponent's flop call of a raise (which would now take less of your stack since you didn't raise PF) gave me without ignoring it and just saying "he's not good" and "he must be on overs."

(Edited for clairty.)