View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Good use of the turn donk?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're saying each individual bet doesn't protect your hand. I agree. I'm saying the two bets together can protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two bets aren't going to protect your hand when calling the second bet is giving your opponent better odds on his call than he had when he called the first bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you're only looking at one bet here-- namely, the second bet. I agree that if he only had to call the second bet, he'd be right to do it. When he calls the first bet, he's made a -EV call. The only way your opponent could make a -EV call is if your hand was protected. This is the essence of hand protection. Your opponents have a choice to a) call incorrectly or b) fold. When those are their choices, you've protected your hand.

What is your definition of hand protection and why is it better than my definition?

[/ QUOTE ]

If opponents have a 5 or 6 out hand, then calling the first bet on the turn is +EV for them. If you're checking this turn with the intention of raising a bet from the player to your immediate left, it's for value, not for protection. There just isn't a good way to protect your hand on this turn since the flop raiser is to your immediate left.