View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: A really stupid idea

I've worked my way up in limits from 0.5/1 to 5/10 or 10/20. (Well I'm playing 10/20 and feel like I'm a winning player, but I'm in the red after over 5K hands.)

I have learned a lot playing 5/10 (both full and SH) and 10/20 (mostly SH, some full).

I can't really say much about the 15/30, but your edge is going to be much smaller to start with and you could easily start out as a losing or breakeven player before you adjust. You can definitely run bad. So you need to be prepared for these possibilities.

I don't want to say don't go to the 15/30, bedause I am not familiar with it and it could be the best move for you. I can only say that, for myself, I have enjoyed and learned from playing 5/10 and 10/20 so far. The games are definitely beatable. But as the edge decreases and the aggression increases, the variance grows a lot. It's been a big adjustment for me to experience it. This month alone (which coincides with my taking my first shot at 10/20), in about 12K hands, I have lost over $3K, then won over $4K, lost $1.5K, and won $1.5K. I think I played some of my best poker during the stretch where I lost $1.5K. That's playing mostly 10/20 and some 5/10 (largely after I lost the $3K). Think about whether you can deal with those kind of swings and still play your A game.