View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: sending a huge file to my new computer?

If you are on a wireless network and your PC is on the same network as your laptop, then if you are using Windows XP, you can easily transfer the file.

You will need two names. The first is the name of your PC. If you see the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, then right click it and choose properties. If not, go to the Start Menu, into the Control Panel, and choose "System"

Either way, now you have the System window open. Choose the tab called Computer Name. That is the first name you need, I'll assume it's called "MyPC"

Now find the folder holding the files you want to copy. Share it by right clicking and choosing "Sharing and Security..." This may bring you to a wizard that will walk you through the process. If not, in the pop-up window choose the "Sharing" tab, click the checkbox to "Share this folder on the network" and then give it a name, or take the default. This is the next name you need, I'll assume it's "documents".

Now move to your laptop. From the Start menu, choose Run...

In the Run window, enter "\\MyPC\documents" or replace with whatever those names were. A new window will open showing the folder's contents.

Grab the file and drag it over.

NOTE It will still be a lot faster if you compress the files into a ZIP or RAR file first. But at least you do not need to fool around with AIM, or mailing it to yourself, or burning a CD.

When you are done, it's a good idea to unshare the original directory.