View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Good use of the turn donk?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on the turn was that I wanted MP2 to raise again in order to protect my hand against the latter two player's possible 5-6 out hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
MP2 is more likely to bet when checked to than raise when bet into, thus you are more likely to be able to protect your hand by check-raising than by betting.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not protecting your hand by check-raising the turn - no-one is going to fold for one more bet after you check-raise. What you are doing is getting value from calls that are drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter if they call or fold. Protecting your hand happens when you put someone in a position where they lose (i.e., their choice is to fold or call incorrectly). If they have to put two bets in on the turn when they only have the odds to put in one, they've lost. When you put them in this situation, you've protected your hand. It doesn't matter whether they know they'll have to put in two or not. Even if they have odds to call the first bet, they shouldn't because that means they'll have to put in another one.
We've made our opponents make a mistake. We've protected our hand.