View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 12:36 PM

Default <---------------> . . . <______>

OK, I'm trying to figure something out here.

If you are in a pot HU and you flop top set or TPTK, or two pairs (or some other very strong hand), but you put your opponent on an OESD, how do you play this?

This is probably the type of hand I know least how to play.

Usually I throw out something like 2/3 pot-sized bet hoping to get called down and hoping he doesn't hit his hand. My mentality is always "Keep the pot small so I don't lose too much if he rivers me, and so he doesn't feel like the pot is big and he may go in for a huge bluff to steal whats in the middle". This has to be wrong. I know it is.

I think a pot-sized flop bet is correct here. (Most OESD's call this but not any more). Then on the turn card, you need to bet enough so that if he calls, he is calling at least 20% of the current pot. (because he will hit roughly 1 in 5 times). This gives him odds to call all the way to the river, and then if he hits you either check/fold or call his value bet if it's small enough.

The point is, he will not call a river value-bet if he doesn't hit, so you MUST MAKE HIM PAY ON BOTH THE FLOP AND TURN STREETS! Bet enough to where you are "almost" giving him odds to call. Each call they make with slightly bad odds is +EV for you. Yet if you bet too much, they won't chase it.

Example: Pot is 100 PF. You flop two pairs, he flops OESD. You bet 100, he calls.

Pot is now 300. Turn is no help to him. You should bet the BARE MINIMUM of 100 here! Betting 200 will probably not get a call from him, so I think you can fire out 125-175 and usually get called. (He will call more b/c he thinks he has "implied odds" if he hits). So say you bet 150 and he called.

Pot is 600. River doesn't help him. Now what do you do? You've bet pot on the flop, 1/2 pot on the turn...if you bet 1/4 pot does he ever make a crying call? I think if he improved to a pair he might.

Pot is 600, so do you fire out 150 here? The river isn't what is important to me here, though.

I'm mainly wanting to know if the (Pot), (1/4 - 1/2 pot), (1/4 pot) line is good HU against an OESD...

Comments appreciated in advance.