View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Books concentrate too much on individual actions

I have read most of the well-known limit holdem books. They mainly categorize your actions into flop, turn and river neglecting the whole development of an individual hand from the preflop to the river.

Example: you are in BB, flop middle pair, the action gets checked to the button who bets.. The recommendation could be to raise (depends, of course). But the point is that the continuation of the hand is neglected in almost all books.. What if he 3-bets you.. Or what if he calls you, you bet the turn, he calls.. what about the river..

My first book was the one of Hilger's.. chapters are divided into flop, turn and river, the hand examples give you recommendations on each particular street but not the whole hand.. The same goes for Miller's SSHE..

The biggest problem in my game is what to do after you see the action of your opponent, when you made the single decision which is supposed to correct in one particular part of the hand.. Well, maybe it's not a problem in my game *any more*, but I had to construct these ideas myself, I never found good advice from the books.

Any thoughts why the authors have taken this approach?