Thread: Chip Races
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Chip Races

[ QUOTE ]
Hey folks, first time poster, I've been lurking around for the past couple of weeks.

Well, my friends and I are planning to run our first large multi-table tournament. Now mostly when we colour chips out of our tournaments, we simply round up. However, a couple people say this is unfair and lets the shorter stacks build up a bit of a come back. It's a pretty weak argument because it barely does.

Anyways, that's besides the point. We've been looking for an alternative method to colour out the chips, and I stumbled across the idea of a "chip Race" somewhere. Now the definition/instructions were pretty confusing.

I was just wondering if anyone could clarify how useful this technique is for tournaments, and how exactly to do it.

All help is Greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you say its a weak arguement. For a home game chip racing is slow and annoying and people tend not to know how to do it right. And the short stack can still get extra chips.

Tell the arguers to suck it up and go with the rounding up. I can't imagine it makes any difference at all unless a short stack gets like 75 extra chips and gets all in against 9 other players who all have him covered and he wins. Yeah now he gets 675 more chips out of that pot than he would have otherwise, but even there, I don't imagine that that's going to be that big a deal considering the size of the pot he probably took down.

On the other hand, nothing inherently wrong with chip racing if you actually enjoy it.

--Zetack