View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: SSH made me 60 bucks!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as soon as i raised i realized a call would have been better since i cant protect against these fools. and one cold called the turn with a 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
Protecting your hand isn't getting opponents to fold. Protecting your hand is forcing your opponents to chose between folding or making an unprofitable call. I doubt that all three players behind you had odds to call two cold both times, so you did indeed protect your hand without them folding.

As for the flop raise, I think it's pretty close between raising and folding (raising is my choice), with calling being the worst of the three options. If you think you can get paid well when you hit then you should raise, and this table demonstrated that you can indeed get paid well. On a tighter table or in a slightly smaller pot I'd give up. As is, nice hand.

PS SSH has made me a bit more than $60; you ought to give it more credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. Hero is clearly not ahead, and raising the flop in EP with bottom pair is pretty bad. When you are drawing to 5 outs in a relatively small pot, you don't really have a hand to protect. My order is fold > call > raise.

Also, raising the flop cuts your implied odds in half. The concept of implied odds centers on getting a lot of bets when you invest only a few. By raising, you are investing twice as much money and winning the same amount if you do hit.