View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Official Week #4 lines for \"3+1 Challenge\"

If my picks were a WR, I'd have been Marvin Harrison for the first 2 weeks - just quietly getting it done. OK last week not so much when I decided to pull a Freddy Mitchell and just talk. Hopefully we'll go Terrell Owens this week and do both.

$400 - Jets +7.5 - Can you name the starting QB's in this game? Me neither. The Ravens handed me my only 2 losses for the first 2 weeks, so they're on pace to become my dreaded enemy with the inevitable backdoor cover with a defensive TD in the closing seconds against Bonnie Bernstein or whoever is under center for the Jets. Nevertheless, this group has always been a gritty road team under Herm with the exception of week 1 this year. And lets face it, you'll never hear anybody say: "I wouldn't want to give an offensive guru like Brian Billick 2 weeks to prepare for my team". Just smells like a 13-10 game.

$300 - Houston +10 - I've already commented on this game, but unlike Sean Salisbury, I'm not ready to call this Bengals D one of the league's best.

$200 - New Orleans PK - I've seen a lot of bad QB play in my tenure as a Bills fan. Todd Collins, Billy Joe Hobert, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Drew Bledsoe....I don't remember any of those guys managing to lose a game despite winning the turnover battle AND getting their RB to rush for 140 yards...at home. How is that even possible? Now he's got to play on the road vs. a good pass-rush and likely one of the most fired up crowds in recent memory. Also, look for McAllister to have a big game receiving with Spikes out and a gimpy Fletcher.

$100 - Chiefs -2.5 - Here's my new "conference tiers" theory. Take each conference and divide the teams into three tiers: Good, average, and bad. When an NFC team plays an AFC team from a respective equal tier, the AFC team pretty much always wins, especially at home. Seattle-Jacksonville on opening day was a pretty good example of this. I still think the Chiefs are in the "good" category despite Monday night, so this feels a little like last year's Philly-Pittsburgh game to me. Of course the preceeding Saints pick makes no sense according to this theory, but hey, Terrell Owens doesn't make any sense either.