View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Question to pvn and other anarcho-capitalists

[ QUOTE ]
Somalia is truly heaven on Earth. Speaking of that, what the hell are you doing here in the statist USA, pvn? When are you packing up, leaving the hellish oppression you've been subjected to here in the US, and moving there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I you give Somalia as the prototype for anarcho-capitalism, I trust you'll allow me to give Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia as prototypes for governments.

I agree with John Locke that good governance is a consequence of a rational and moral populace. Thus, if a variant of irrational and immoral ethics becomes dominant in a culture, such as in Somalia, Iran, Nazi Germany, etc, then all bets are off -- it will be a nasty place to live regardless of how the institutions of governance are organized.

The real question is what is the proper function of a government (or anarcho-capitalist justice agency), and how is it's authority justified?

I claim that anarcho-capitalism is the only system of governance fully consistent with the ethics of individual rights, and further, that this system will be the most stable, or robust, to the corruption of those who seek authoritative power.

I believe pvn's point about Somalia is that given the dominant tribal culture there, the natural mechanisms of anarcho-capitalism nevertheless work to render a very bad situation a little better.