View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: AK PF - Easy laydown?

A push here looks like a very obvious squeeze play on the short stacks. The min-raiser and the cold caller, both of whom have stacks that will cripple you, are your real concerns here.

Without any specific reads, the min-raise from the 40K stack is either a very poor isolation attempt, or an attempt to entice a couple of callers to try and win a big pot. The cold call from the 51K stack is tough to interpret without a solid read. He too could be looking to bust the 40k stack with a big pair, and wouldn't mind another short stack coming along.

In spite of the dead money/great odds that a successful overpush will get you (13k to win ~34K, with no threat to your stack), I think 40K or 51K will call with 99+ too often to make it worthwhile.

This seems to me like one of those situations where the math might warrant a push, but it's a small edge late in a tournament where you are chip leader and have the ammo to be more selective and accumulate chips by stealing small pots without risking 80% of your stack. I try to find a fold here.