View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Have biblical theists discoverd any observable absolute truths?

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious , though, what kind of success have any theistic scholars had in uncovering an observable absolute law?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe absolute laws exist in an impersonal, independent way. God is Absolute Person and in one sense can't really be separated from His Word, or Law. It makes no sense to speak of an observable, absolute law in an empirical, scientific way. All natural laws are wholly dependent on God and I don't think can be called absolute, as the entire creation is contingent. Moral law from God is absolute and can be observed in the Bible, but can neither be observed per se in the universe nor derived by autonomous human reason.

One of my pet peeves with Kant was his question in the introduction to Pure Reason, "How are a priori synthetic judgments possible?", where a priori is defined as universal and necessary. Kant forgot to ask and answer the question "Are such judgments possible for a finite creature?", and even another question, "How can we know any such judgment IS valid?".