View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Interesting ruling..

[ QUOTE ]
A dealer could be forgiven for stating that five 19 chip stacks is $500

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only part I disagree with.
The fact that any stack COULD be 19 or 21 chips is the reason the dealer HAS to break it down and not just 'eyeball' it.
Failing to double-check it is inexcuseable.

These are poker players (sometimes drunk) stacking up their chips as quickly as possible after a won pot while the next hand is being dealt to them.
It is obvious that sometimes they are going to foul-up their stack-size.

When I was a blackjack dealer and got a reload of chips at my table I was required to always break-it-down and double-check before accepting it.
The chips were coming directly out of a tray and the chances of one of the stacks being off by 1 chip were pretty slim.
It did happen one time though...one of my stacks had 21 chips squeezed into the tube so they had to send the WHOLE thing back and do it again.

If a dealer accepting chips from the cage has to take such pre-cautions then I would think that a players' stack-size is deserving of the same scrutiny for the fairness of the game.

This dealer was just plain lazy whether the stacks were 20, 25 or 19 chips and misrepresnting the stack by 1 chip is no more excuseable then misrepresenting it by 5.