Thread: When to go pro?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: When to go pro?

First off I turned "pro/playing for a living" couple years ago back when NL 200 was the big dog on pp. I made the switch playing cash games (so now you know my background) but I think a few things I have to say will be relivant. First off it KILLS you mentally. When you play for a living your win rate drops, due to the extended hours you play, the love of the game goes down, and the fact there's so much more added pressure.
Online poker is going to start getting harder here in a few years once the boom dies down, so I strongly encourage you to think about the future, what is going to happen to you when all of the people that play 109's and 215's have no more fish and move to the 55's and 33's. (this is just my prediction, I may be wrong) I would say, keep your job, but play poker for a 2nd income if you like. Keep your options open. And once you're confident you're ready to make the switch, and don't need 2+2 for advice, then do it. If you have to ask, I don't think you're ready, only you will know.

As far as a stat perspective, your stats seem low to me.

Also, I just helped a guy out wiht the transfer to living off of online poker, and ummmm.... he was going to play 40 hours a week, LOLOLOL to that comment. People who actually do that know it last for a year at MOST then you die out. 40 hours a week is impossible to keep up to. Do the numbers at 20 hours a week.