View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: passive against agressive

[ QUOTE ]
After throwing in the hand range of any ace, any broadway, and any pair (27% PFR) into pokerstove, and assuming he'll bet the whole way regardless, QJo is a 3 to 1 underdog on the flop. If you decide to call down the whole way regardless you are getting a little better than 11:5 odds. It's important to note that against that range QJo is never the best hand on the flop. Now since he may actually raise more but slows down when people raise in front of him, QJo might be the best hand some of the time. But not very often at all.

If there is an edge on this flop (with any strategy), then the edge must be microscopic.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of thoughts:

(1) Calling the flop does not commit us to a showdown. If we catch a king on the turn, then I like our hand a lot. Sure, we'll lose to a boat (or even quads) on occasion, when Villain's A5o improves on the river (and occasionally he'll have TT to begin with), but I think calling one SB, getting 7:1, with two big streets to come, is worth it just based on our chances of hitting our gutshot combined with our implied odds. Our implied odds should be pretty good, against this player.

If we catch aces up instead, my guess is that we're at least breaking even on a calldown (the pot's not empty, and we'll be getting decent odds), although improving will just cost us extra, sometimes.

(2) I think your PokerStove analysis is useful, and I was curious how our hand fared against Villain's likely range. However, for what it's worth, I do suspect the range you used is a bit tidy. What I mean by that is that I'd be surprised if Villain always raised A3o and never raised 95s. I don't think most LAGs have an entirely consistent or reliable preflop range.