View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Tipping etiqutte, should I feel bad/cheap?

Seriously (and I have a tipped server job), I'd tip her like crap too. You're tipping her to do her job, which she obviously isn't doing very well.

What really irritates me is when I'm doing my job, but some other factor is keeping someone's food from coming out quickly. This weekend at the restaurant, we had the worst kitchen crew ever. We have a policy of getting food out within 16 minutes from the time it went into the computer. It wasn't uncommon this weekend for food to take 20-25+ minutes.

Of course, that's not my fault. But, people don't really understand that. I'm still making my rounds, refilling drinks, explaining a little bit of the situation, etc. Basically giving everyone attention the best I can.

But, at the end of dinner, I often found 10-15% tips sitting there. $6 on a $60 tab, $10 on a $75 tab, $2 on a $23 tab (ugh), etc. Again, I'm doing my job, but some people can't understand that. I guess it's possible that they think they're protesting against the restaurant if they don't tip very well, but really, they're just protesting against my bank account. Bastards. </rant>