Thread: Now or later?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Now or later?

[ QUOTE ]
Three things I consider in such situations are 1) what is the highest card on the flop;2) do I have top set or not; and 3) how draw-rich is the flop texture.

The high card is important because the lower it is the more likely is is that the turn will be an overcard and thus the more likely that it will discourage the flop bettor from betting out again on the turn. If I have top set, it's unlikely the original bettor has top pair, so again the less likely he'll continue betting on the turn. And when a flop has a flush draw, it might mean the check-raiser is pushing a draw and would not bet if he misses on the turn.

The limpers are probably more likely to call two more small bets on the flop than they are to call two big bets cold on the turn.

The deciding factor here might be that you 3-bet pre-flop. That is, the check-raiser "knew" that you would be betting the flop and would have checked what he sees as a good hand regardless of what he flopped. All things considered, I'd opt for waiting until the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having a hard time following you on this. I was surprised by your last sentence, because to me your arguments seemed to support 3-betting the flop.

Does the third paragraph support 3-betting the flop or waiting for the turn? It would seem to make me want to 3-bet the flop.

It seems as though you're saying that because of the 2nd paragraph and the 4th paragraph, the check-raiser might not bet the turn. Is that right?