View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Interesting ruling..

OK.

First off, yes, the dealer frigged up, and should be kicked directly in the nuts. But that aside...

Yes, the actual bet that was made was $625, and the dealer didn't count it, like they should have. But when the dealer announced "$500" why didn't the first player speak up? He should have protected his action by making sure the correct amount was stated by the dealer. So now the problem has been compounded.

The player who called probably did so in good faith, thinking it was $500, like the dealer said. Although it's doubtful another $125 would have changed his decision, he of course should have been given the correct information before decided to call. Therefore this guy can't be held liable for what happened.

Therefore the floor probably should have decided that the first guy should take back $125, and leave the river card as is. I don't think there's any situation where the second guy could take back ALL of his call and reconsider $625 vs. $500, particularly after the river is already dealt, even if the river might come back, because now he has gained information that he didn't have the right to know before he called. That information, while probably small and insignificant, could occasionally be the tie breaker on a major decision. The knowledge of even one card that is still in the deck gives him an advantage.

It's a real sticky situation, I am sure you could get several different answers, all of which could have been reasonable solutions to the problem. I'm stating my opinion as to how I would rule the situation. I'd like to hear Randy or Rick's answers as well, because I could be missing the best possible solution. Also, I have not read any other responses yet, but I will shortly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al