View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: How long can a game stay good? Possible stupid question.

There's a danger that a couple of the regular wild-ones will eventually run out of money and the game will simply not be as good in the future.
There I agree with you.

Wild games like the one you speak of frequently happen in areas where poker is fairly new. Obviously the room at Caesar's is pretty new....and while there are other rooms up the river, it's not like there is a HUGE amount of competition.

The games in California were supposed to be INSANE when they first legalized hold-em.
I talked with a couple of people who said the same thing was happening currently in Vancouver (80 person wait-list for 4/8 sometimes....you can imagine the urge to gamble it up for some players once they finally got a seat).

While the games in California are still quite good (so I hear...I've never played there), the long-timers there will tell you that it's not even close to how crazy they were when it first started up.

mason is very opinionated on this very topic and has written a bit about it in his Poker essays book (which I believe I saw Steam mentioned that he had...but maybe I was hallucinating again).

The Caesar's Indiana situation might be a bit different though since there are so many people pretty much coming from a 100-mile radius to specifically lay in Louisville.

So I guess it's up to your best judgement as to what might happen in the future.
If it's the very same 2 or 3 guys getting REALLY crazy virtually EVERY single night then it's going to be up to those guys to keep it going (will they get bored of the game?? can they afford significant long-term losses??)...because obviously if they leave then whoever steps in to replace them will probably not be quite so insane.

Now....if it's a variety of semi-regulars who keep the game pretty wild...including a rotating cast of 'never-seens' who always seem to be donking it up then I suspect that tells you that the general cast of characters in your area might be sufficient to keep it going strong.

Just some general ideas.
I haven't been playing long enough really to have my own observations of this stuff.
Really just going off of what I've read in some threads here and in Mason's posts and essays.