View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: How many states have you been to?

[ QUOTE ]
Driving through the state should definitley count. I've driven through Tennesse many times on different routes, but have never actually stopped their other than food/gas. Earlier this year I went to New Jersey for the first time for work. Got off the plane went straight to the office. Worked 2 long days only leaving the office to go across the street to the hotel. I would consider my Tennesse visits much more meaningful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, driving through some place can tell you a lot. And if you stay off the interstate and get some local color, you can see a lot. But the people that do that kind of real "touring" are almost certainly stopping at a tourist site and eating some local flavor. Just driving through is kind of lame. I-95 will take you through Delaware in under 60 minutes. That is not the same as driving across Montana. Hence the need for some real interaction.

If you have two days on the road for work and it feels less substantial than driving through a state on your way from A to B, you might need to reconsider how you use your time while on the road for work.

I travel a fair amount for work. I miss my home and family. So I'll be damned if on top of that I am going to eat at chain restaurants and stare at the walls of my hotel room at night. Ask someone you're working with where to get a local's experience for dinner and go do it.