View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Default The Slow Roll (no poker content)

I'm not sure where this should go. I'm posting here instead of B&M, because I'm interested to see if it effects players any from an emotional or strategic standpoint.

To make a long story short, I had AA and the pot was big. I called a 3-bet on the turn. The river paired the board and my opponent checked. I thought he might've just gotten his two pair counterfeited so I bet for value. He called. I showed my hand and he just sat there forever staring at my aces. Finally he turned over his two cards revealing he had turned a straight.

For an hour afterwards 4 players approached me with their indignation over his slow roll (there was no question it was intentional by the way as this player knew he had a straight).

Is there something wrong with me that this does not bother me in the least? What's the big deal if someone slow rolls you? You'd have lost the pot anyway, so who cares?

In addition, I figure this guy donates about 50k per year to the game, so if he gets a kick out of slowrolling me then let him have his fun! Why would I get mad about it?

Anyway, I close friend of mine said I should plan an elaborate slowroll for him in the future in retaliation. I don't know. I don't think it's a good idea. He's an older guy who just doesn't like me because he thinks I'm lucky and win all the time. I have to admit it might be fun, but I have never slowrolled anyone in my life. I'm not sure I want to stoop to his level. I also worry about making him look bad and having it cost me action from him in the future.

Does anyone have any comments on the the subject of slowrolling?