View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: A few questions, mostly on Small Stakes Holdem

[ QUOTE ]
I kept reading the book yesterday and this 'cap' issue came up over and over. Im thinking, what crazy NL game has a cap on betting. I think some more. Then I just sit there, in shock; realizing what I've just done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, there are NL games with a cap. However, players are usually going to be all-in long before the cap is reached. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Not only have I lost two buys while being dealt AA today, Ive purchased a book for a game I don't play. Worst day in my poker career, short as its been.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're going to lose, you might as well do it with the best hand. That's just bad luck, not bad play. As for purchasing the book, I wouldn't worry too much about that. While you're a no-limit player now, there's nothing wrong with learning how to play limit poker as well. It's a very different game, no doubt. But you never know where the juicy action will be, so it doesn't hurt to have a handle on both games.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help Cat. Had I not realized how big an ass I am, your post would've brought it out

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I wasn't really trying to call you out as an ass. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You are not the first person to make this mistake - I guarantee you.

[ QUOTE ]

While Im here, does amazon have a return policy And whats a good 'bit better than beginner' book for no limit holdem (preferally small stakes ring games). Everyone in here was recommeding SSH, and thats why I bought it. I forgot to ask what they were recommeding it for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that Amazon does, indeed, have a return policy. They're pretty liberal with their customer service in my experience.

There's not much currenlty on the market to reccomend for NL hold'em. Sklansky and Miller are working on a NL book, but it's some way off yet.

I would suggest you get Ed Miller's Getting Started In Hold'em which has a section on very basic NL strategy. Then look at No Limit and Pot Limit Poker by Bob Ciaffone and Stuart Ruben. That's an excellent book, but not exactly beginner material.

SSHE is a great book, that's undeniable. It has changed the way the game is played by knowledgable players. If you get the bug for limit, you'll definitely want to read and understand it.

Regards,

T