View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: I have a flush draw! (Stars $300 hand)

Ok, here are some of my thoughts on the responses, and sort of my defense.

Reasons I hate a check raise-push. If I check raise all in, it really doesn't look all that strong, and I think that play looks like a ballsy played whiffed AK a lot of the time. Basically, if I were my opponenet with 88, 99 or something to that effect this hand, and I got check raised all in, my thought process most likely would be, "He checked and I bet, my bet really looks like a steal. There arent many hands that hit this board hard, and he knows this. He thinks I'm stealing this pot from his hand, which is very likely AK. Overpairs rarely would check here, and risk giving a free card on a draw heavy board. Therefore I think my 99 is best." Yeah, so ultimately, it looks like I am putting him on a steal with nothing-- since I would bet if I were the villain here after being checked to, with literally any 2.

Reasons I hate betting out 1000 or more: If I bet 1000, I HATE getting raised all in and not getting a chance to see a turn card, or getting a chance to push the villain off his hand. I agree that ideally, betting 1000, then pushing to a raise of 2500 would look strongest. However by betting 1000 I risk the chance that my opponent will just raise all in because he will think any pot sized raise almost commits him anyway. Like Lloyd said, one of the interesting things about this hand, is the stack sizes.

Another thing, I don't know if this supports my case, or hurts it. I pushed almost insantaneously after getting reraised, so I wonder whether you would percieve that as a tell of strength, or weakness.

To be honest, I'm surprised at the number of people who say they call this with any pair. I didn't realize this play reeked of a draw...