View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: How do you feel about people outright asking you for money?

haven't read the whole thread.

I can imagine that this would be a tricky situation you have put yourself in.

Barry Greenstein kind of touches on this type of stuff in his book I think.
He mentioned somewhere in there (in a post or in his book or somewhere) that he gets people ALL THE TIME just asking him to stake them....many of the people asking are people he doesn't know I believe.
Everyone knows he's got money...and everyone knows he gives some of that money to charity. So maybe he would give some of that money to ME.
I imagine he has to be rather guarded in who he chooses to be friends with because of such situations where people say "Hey Barry...give me $8,000. What do you care? It's only a single big-bet to you."
I don't know how often it happens to him...but I suspect enough times that it has gotten pretty aggrevating.

I don't know what it is about people that makes people do this to people who have done well in poker.
I sure wouldn't just ask for money from anybody I knew to have some even if I was flat-broke (naturally I might have to ask to borrow some from someone that I know well enough).

NatethaGreat posted on almost this exact same thing (the uncomfortability of having so much more money than your friends) in the psych forum several months ago.