Old 09-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Explain these foods to me.

[ QUOTE ]
since you are from the UK, explain these foods to me:

1. eels
2. meat puddings
3. why do you call french fries chips

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Only old people eat eels, i live right next to the river where they catch them all. Eels as i'm sure you know, are slimy fish which look a bit like snakes, i can't comment on what they taste like, as like i said, only old people eat them. They look rather horrible to me. I think you eat them in pies, but they're quite rare now.

2. Meat Puddings. By this i assume you mean Suet Pudding, or Spotted Dick. I can't really comment on this either because no one eats this any more either. Well maybe old people again. Suet is raw beef fat, so i doubt it tastes very meaty anyway. So contrary to american belief, we don't order a meat pudding after a main course or anything.

Both the eels and the suet pudding are kinda 19th Century foods, for more information, read Charles Dickens.

3. French Fries/Chips - Why do you all call them french fries? They're not french, they're belgian. And the things you call chips, are actually crisps. Chips are thick chunks of potato cooked in animal fat. French Fries are poor imitations. The only places you can get 'french fries' in the UK is McDonalds and Burger King and everyone always turns them down when asked if they'd like them with their meal.

Chips

Crisps

'French' Fries