View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 12:27 AM

Default AJo...WAY overplayed

1/2 PP, had not been at the table more than 2 orbits, had no real read on the villain prior to this hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, BB :#A500AF(Villain)/ checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villain 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

I figured villain was perhaps betting out with a 9. With only 3 in, I liked my overcards, backdoor nutflush draw, and last-to-act position. I raised here because I thought I had a good shot at getting to see free cards later. The three-bet was definitely an alarm bell...and one I don't think I sufficiently heeded. Should have signalled 2-pair at a minimum, since I had no read this guy was a particularly reckless player.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Villain 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

I'm still thinking Villain has A9 or maybe nutflush draw here...that's why I raised again. I finally wake up on his second 3-bet of the hand, and know he has me beat, whether it's 2 pair, set, or straight.

River: (15 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

I call mainly because of the pot size...I'm almost certain he has me beat here.

Final Pot: 18 BB

In reviewing this hand, I think my preflop and flop play was okay. I think my river play, despite the fact I know I'm beat, is all right too because of the size of the pot.

I think my play on the turn, however, sucked; Villain's flop 3-bet should have been a clear warning that he had something better than a measly TPTK or diamond draw. Thoughts?