View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Two monotone flops -- different lines

[ QUOTE ]
So you're not 3-betting if you bet and get raised? I see the opportunity to 3-bet being a benefit of betting the river. Then again, check-raising and calling a 3-bet might be better since if it gets capped we're dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider that, after you raised preflop, it was 3-bet & capped behind you. KK or QQ both beat you now; another AK is probably not putting in more than 1 bet on the river (if 1) no matter how you play it. TxTc & AA are also probably not going to call a raise, no matter where it comes from. So in order to get value out of your raise (or 3-bet, if you take that route), you are likely banking on someone else having precisely the J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You can argue that bad players will put in an extra bet on the river with less, but do they do that often enough to make up for the times you're check/raising or bet/3-betting with a losing hand?

After all the action preflop, a very scary board, and you leading the flop and turn, it's going to look very suspicious if you just check, and I don't think you can be sure that anyone will bet a worse hand behind you. However, given the size of the pot, quite a few hands will call for 1 more bet on the river--certainly more than will make the bet themselves. Given that, plus the number of times I've had a flopped set use a call/call/raise line on me in precisely these circumstances on 5/10, I vastly prefer bet/call to any other river line.