View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: 6th graders ?s -- warning, only for those curious about us Catholics

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point:

4 - Some on this forum have no clue on how to read the Bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Holy Mother Church says "this means this" and suddenly there have a patent on interpreting divine scripture?

Hmm, must be why Mary is only a small player in the NT yet she gets more praise than Jesus at times in Catholicism?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have to argue about everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's the internet ... we're supposed to. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

All I meant in #4 was to show some here on the board that the Bible is not meant to be read strictly literally. If ones reads it as such it is like reading “Moby Dick” and then saying Melville wrote a story about a whale.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you read Rev 13 literally? Nobody on this forum is claiming a giant beast will rise out of the ocean like Godzilla.

You said:

"Some on this forum have no clue on how to read the Bible."

Your words come across as if you think that the Catholic interpretation is right and that any other is clueless.

Perhaps you wrote those words in haste?

[ QUOTE ]

The whole post was meant to show those unfamiliar with my religion that we Catholics - even 6th graders learn - aren’t dogmatic autocrats who simply believe that if we don’t eat meat on Friday we will get into Heaven . And to show (by inference) that we do not believe that the 3 week old baby in Africa who just died from AIDS goes to Hell. That isn’t our religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet if the Pope says "book x means x" you believe him, despite probably not having read the book yourself.

Furthermore I can't imagine anyone thinking a child will go to hell.

[ QUOTE ]

Lighten up.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT is that way. --->