View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: How do you do it (handle the swings).

Back in February, I lost on-line, low limit, every single day for the whole month. I began to question whether I was as good as I thought I was. I mean, I couldn't even beat low limit on-line players! On one hand, I had AK, paired my king on the flop, only to lose on the turn and river to a guy how had J5, when 5, and then a J, fell on the turn and river (I still bitch about that hand)! I started to believe that I was terrible. I re-read every book I own. I took some time off. The best advice I remember reading was from Mike Caro, "You don't get paid to win pots. You get paid to make the right decisions." I realized that I wasn't losing because I was making bad decisions. I was just unlucky. In a game that requires skill and luck, you are bound to run into streaks where you can't lose and streaks where you can't win. Just try to think about your play and try to determine if you are playing poorly or well.

For those of us who think we are good poker players, it is difficult to go through streaks like the one you are going through. Just fight through it, take some time off if necessary, and try to have fun