View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: 78 best suited connector?

[ QUOTE ]
JT is the best suited connector, because every straight it makes is the nut straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean, but I would say this differently. You can lose with a JT straight to a higher straight. If another player holds QT and the board is J9873, you lose. I know this isn't very likely, and it could happen with any other connector as well, so JT is still the best.

I see the appeal of 7's and 8's in general, although I would put 9's in that category as well. Of course, I'd always rather have a higher card, but 8's are not as much worse than J's as 5's are worse than 8's or 2's worse than 5's.

I don't buy the extra appeal with respect to straights. If you do get your straight, your worry is a full house. People play mid pairs almost as often as top pairs. You do get some advantage, plus the advantage that someone is unlikely to hold two middle cards, plus the advantage that you might get a low straight and people do often fold low pairs. But I don't think all these things add up to much compared to the chance of TT beating 88.