View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: War and relegion

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Re: War and relegion

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you see any 16-year olds in the American military strapping on bombs and blowing themselves up?

And I don't think their suicide bombers are paid $60k/year and given the level of training as our troops, thus uts reasonable to assume they have different motivations.

Kid, i don't think i wish to argue with you becuse you are in the military. You are actually putting your life on the line for what you believe in, and that demands respect.

No, I'm not. I'm in grad school as a military officer and respect those actually doing the job.

But being in the military, I can tell you that there is not a fanatacism or blood lust amongst the troops and officers I have been in contact with, not this war or any other conflict the last 11 years. So, for you to suggest that the US military's professionalism is comparable to that of suicide bombers is a bit of a stretch for me. And I'm not questioning their motives or their validity, but the average American simply does not fight with the same motivations drilled into young men who blow themselves up.

[/ QUOTE ] The discussion is useless for me, since you are in the military. The thought of we are right and they are wrong is required by your profession. However civilians are afforded the luxory of being able to determine which parts of each culture are right, and where we are wrong.