Thread: A9s 3bet LP
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: A9s 3bet LP

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i am interested in knowing what you would do if the flop comes K, Q, J or T high rainbow (or two-tone not ur suit) against the same 2 opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like you're setting a trap for me kenny. But that's ok, if my play is inconsistent I'm here to learn.

I would bet most of the time and fold to a check-raise. A minority of the time I would just give up and check the flop not wanting to put anymore money in the hand. I don't like SB's pre-flop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. And no Rob, I wasn't setting a trap for you. I found myself in this situation quite a lot. Also I believe many of us "tight aggressive" yet not "SUPER tight" players find ourself missing the flop against a preflop raiser quite a bunch of times [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

my recent problem is that I get check-raised either on the flop or turn by the pre-flop caller or raiser VERY frequently. and the MAJORITY of the times, they would show me some hand on river, if i do decide to go to showdown with a hand like AK-AJ. this has lasted for months now (OK, that was a complain), but i feel on top of the possibility of me running bad, there might be something i can do about it. and if that's true, i'd like to find out.

most of us talk about when we hit someting after the flop as the re-raiser, however, i am far more interested in hearing some discussion on all the times we miss and get played at, which happens more and more online, since people are getting more tricky.

- Kenny

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly I'm currently going through the exact same thing you mentioned. As a result, the last week and a half I've adjusted my play and I've dropped from 4 tables to 2 to analyze the situation. (That and I've yet to lose in 20 sessions this year while 2-tabling - so I want to see how far this anomaly will go)

The adjustment I've made is to tighten up post flop. I'm giving up about twice as often as I used to - especially against aggressive players. That means I'll either check behind on the flop and fold the turn or bet the flop and fold right there to a CR or fold on the turn. Interestingly, you would think that it would encourage people to take shots at me but it hasn't. Maybe that will change but I play against so many different players on the 30-60 hard to say how often they'll be able to take advantage.

I combat the weak image by almost always 3 betting a cr if I'm going to see the river. Of course I have to follow up with a turn bet a certain portion of the time without the goods or else my opponent has an easy decision on the turn.

Examples

LA limps utg, I raise AJh in lp. BB calls.
Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
check to me I'll often check hoping I spike a J or A and if not I'm check-folding the turn. If instead I held JJ and was cr by the BB and utg folded I would 3 bet and bet most turns.

Different scenario: the fake slowplay - I have AJh on the button and open raise. BB calls.
Flop: K 10 3 rainbow. check check.
The check has to puzzle the BB because I'm an aggressive player usually and it looks like I've flopped a big hand and am trying to trap. And I've also foiled a cr bluff. Now opponent will very often fold the turn or just call a K or 10 where it would have cost me a lot more.