View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: why does sklansky spend so much time on the philos section?and oth

[ QUOTE ]
If you read a little bit between the lines (actually, i think the question is stated fairly explicitly), you will see that i am asking that question solely in connection with the philosophical implications of atheism.

If you, as an atheist, woke up tomorrow and began fanatically teaching dianetics, or ID, or that the moon is made up of green cheese, I believe you would be no less rational than in desiring that evolution be taught. If you cannot understand why, then you simply do not understand some simple fundamental implications of materialistic philosophy, namely that ultimately, nothing matters, especially where the universe came from. Even if evolutionary theory were true, what does it matter whether or not people know this true. It would serve zero value to society in knowing this. Again, I'd propose that even in an atheistic universe, it would be more beneficial for all to be truly Christian than for all to be atheist. Hitler and Stalin (two atheists) were, along with Mao (probably an atheist, im not sure), were responsible for more death than anyone else in the history of the universe.

You say you desire your kids and for people generally to basically 'not be ignorant' and know the truth about our origins. Please tell me why this truly matters. You can give me all your subjective reasons (as you tried to do), but they are no more valuable than another atheist who says he wants everyone to believe in creation (even though he knows evolution is true). If you just try to think a little bit deeper, perhaps you will know what im really saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

See hedonism, logical positivism, utilitarianism, etc. There are other ways to make value judgements other than by what your religion tells you.

If you are not able to understand that there are ways of actually assessing the value of something even if you are an atheist, I don't see why anyone else here should bother responding to you.