View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Advice From Current Pros- Quit a $100K Job? (long)

I think you already have made your mind up as to what you want to do.

I was laid off a while ago from my retail job and I decided to see if I could make my living playing poker instead of jumping into another job.

A few observations after about 5 months at it:

I have succeeded in paying my bills. So I guess that makes me a successful 'pro'. But, it has been difficult to establish a bankroll on top of that.

There is added pressure to win, and inevitable downswings are more stressful and depressing. The higher stakes you play, the bigger the downswings are. If you are as successful as you imply, then I assume you are aware of bankroll management, and other aspects of responsible gambling.

The hours can be a drag as well. You have to play when the games are good. It's not the kinda thing you can get up at 8 AM and do until 5PM and quit for the day. Playing poker for a living requires a lot of late nights and weekends.

What you may want to try is taking a sabattical from your firm. Give it a shot for three months or whatever, see how it works out. It sounds like you're bankrolled for it and you have the head for it, but you went to school for a long time to to get where you are. Going back to it is always a possibility, but it's better to leave the door open rather than jump in both feet first.

Hope that helps a little.

PG