View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Ten tournament hands from a Sit N Go player making the transition

I'll give this a shot. I warn you though, I haven't read any of the replies and I'm *far* from a MTT expert.

#1: AA
I bet a little more on the flop, check the river. I think you have him beat, but I wouldn't want to get check-raised and I don't think there's much he can call with here that you can beat.

#2: QQ
I like this push.

#3: A9o
I wouldn't raise this flop. Although weak flop bets are usually a sign of weakness, this isn't a very favorable board, and I would be a little worried about a CR from MP2.
As for the turn push, given your stack size, it's good I think in light of the 35% rule. I might do the same and hope to get paid from an A or a flush draw.

#5: KQs
I don't like the flop bet here, he might call with a strong diamond or push low diamonds or a strong A.

#6: 33, BB resteal
Gimme the Sbs name, I want him on my fish list.
If you were really sure you don't have any FE, you might consider a stop and go in this spot. Pushing 33 when you're sure you're going to be called doesn't seem like a winning strategy.

#7: J5s
I'd put him on a low pocket pair or a straight bluff with A high here based solely on his flop bet, but you'd have to sit with a guy for a few orbits to be sure about this kind of thing. If he calls you, you're almost certainly beat, or at least hoping to turn or river into a chop, so I don't know about the push. It's just one of those hands where you trusted your read. I would like to know the results on this one though.

#8: KQs
With those odds, I wouldn't mind seeing a call here. He may very well be protecting his trips against the flush.

#9: AJo
I might be tempted to fold to the PF raise here.

#10: KK: UTG gets his revenge
Well played, bad beat. As a side note, many players would consider showing their hand if they don't get any action here, to advertise that they are not always stealling. Some greats use this move quite a bit, so it might be something to consider. Me, I dunno. Had you shown him a premium hand on the last steal would he have been less likely to call you with KJ here? (which, despite your loss, is what you wanted). By the same token however, is it not more likely that next time you raise him you'll be on a steal as opposed to having a hand, so wouldn't you want the credibility? Finally, would showing Kings here really change his opinion that you were on a steal every other time, or impact his assumption that that is the case next time? I dunno, debate amongst yourselves.